Here is the latest Mayoral Social Media Standings graphic, current as of 10/31/2011. I have put the 15 candidates in order of their combined amount of Twitter and Facebook numbers. This is still a photo blog, but as I have said before, I like to share my thoughts on other Portland related topics from time to time. This will likely be the last mayoral social media graphic I make before the election. I might make one after the votes are counted just to compare the results versus social media totals.
A few observations concerning social media and the Portland, Maine mayoral election of 2011:
- Social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, are not that reliable in predicting a candidate's success at the polls. The numbers are interesting to look at though (for me at least).
- Jed Rathband has run the most successful online campaign, as evidenced by his social media presence and overall polish of his websites.
- Peter Bryant appears to have run the least successful online campaign.
- Jodie Lapchick, who is a marketing strategist and who is running on the idea of better promoting and marketing the city, should be one of the leaders in social media success.
- Michael Brennan and David Marshall are equally savvy with the social media.