Sunday, January 9, 2011

Portland, Casco, Machigonne & Falmouth


This obelisk monument where Congress Street ends at the Eastern Promenade commemorates the present and past names of the city as far back as the 1600's.

As noted on Wikipedia, the original name of the  city was Machigonne, which was the name given by local Abenaki Native Americans. The next settlement in 1633 led to the new name of Casco, which is also the name of the local bay and a town near Sebago Lake. In 1658 the name was changed to Falmouth and in 1786 the name Portland was given.