Sunday, February 1, 2009

Before and After #7

The Armory Building in 1898:


In 2009:


Per the Maine Memory Network:

"The Armory was built in 1895 and was used for drill purposes by the many National Guard units that were headquartered there. The building also served as a civic auditorium.

The Guard vacated the building in 1941, but it was used to house military personnel who were in Portland temporarily. The Navy used the building during World War II as a recreation center."


The building is now a fine Hotel & Spa, known as The Regency. From theregency.com:

"..the armory was nearly razed in 1962 when it was abandoned as surplus property by the National Guard and taken over by the city of Portland. Many, including the Chamber of Commerce and the City Manager, wanted to demolish the site and use the site for waterfront parking.

This "improvement plan", was opposed by the many veterans who trained here as well as the city councilmen who thought the plan was too expensive. Following a year filled with controversy the State of Maine Armory was sold for $28,000.00 to State Paper Company. The building, which had served both Maine and this country for over sixty years, was used as a warehouse until 1984 when it was purchased for its conversion into a hotel. The Portland Regency Hotel opened with 95 rooms in 1987, a complement to Portland's popular, restored Old Port."